Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My kids are in the minority since they’re healthy!

Today I took 2 of my kids to the Doctor for their annual wellness visit.  Other than needing a follow up eye exam for one of them it was quick and easy.
The Doctor and the Nurse kept saying how nice it was to work with healthy kids.  They said that so many times that it prompted me to ask some questions.  I started with.. “Is this a bad season for the flu?”  They said not yet it isn’t.  So I asked “are there were many sicknesses going around like strep or ear infections?”  Still the answer was no.  So finally I asked why do you keep telling me how nice it is to see healthy children.  The Doctor sat down and looked me in the eye and said so many kids are overweight, sick with diabetes and blood disease, some just aren’t growing.  She then said they have more gastrointestinal issues with kids than ever before. 
My kids are in the minority since they're healthy?  WOW!  Given that I own a Gym and a Juice Plus+ Wellness business you would think that wouldn’t be a surprise to me.  I guess, like most of us, I sometimes take for granted that I educate my kids on how important wellness is and that they are what they eat. 
It is a shame what is happening to the young people in our country.  Did you know that today’s youth is expected to have a shorter life span then the generation before them?  It’s sad when you realize all they need to do is physically move more, eat more fruit and veggies and consume less sugar and high fat foods. If they did they would live longer and healthier lives. 
So I have to thank the Doctor and Nurse who reminded me not to take the health of my children for granted this Thanksgiving Season.  I hope they pass that message on to many more people. 
Be happy, healthy, thankful and please share this message with someone you love!

No comments:

Post a Comment