Sunday, December 19, 2010

The little & thoughtful things mean the most!

I really miss my kids and my husband.  There’re away from me because they’re visiting family before the holidays.  I wish I was traveling with them but not this time.  I’m always challenged when I’m away from them but even more so when I think about my whole life in a minivan more than 700 miles away from me.  Maybe It’s just that I am overly emotional or maybe because I have a big Italian family and many sisters who I am very close too…..  It could be that those 5 people in the minivan really are my whole world.
I was reminded of how little and thoughtful things that someone does for you can mean so much.  Nick, my husband, knows me so well.  I don’t think he realizes just how well.  Being the overly emotional person I am I knew I needed to keep busy as soon as they left or the tears may never stop flowing?  Of course I went upstairs to the kids’ rooms to strip the beds so I could wash everything while they were gone.  As I pulled the blankets and sheets off the beds I found a card labeled Mom.  It was an amazing card with a recording of my kids joyfully and loudly singing Deck the Halls.  My sad tears turned into a big smile with happy tears.  Later that night I took a bag out of my closet with gifts I needed to sort and wrap.  At the bottom of the bag was a very silly card that made me laugh and smile again.  Just before I went to bed Nick and I spoke on the phone. I thanked him for my cards and we laughed together as I told him how and when I found them.  When we hung up I was feeling a little sad that he wasn’t going to be beside me.  When I turned down the covers I found another card.  A simple and sweet message of love and miss you.  It was much easier to sleep after having read those words.  You would think that was the end… but it wasn’t I found 1 more the next day in the drawer with my hair dryer. 
Is that the end of the cards?  I ‘m not sure but what I am sure of is that I have been so blessed.  I’m also sure Nick wanted to surprise me and help me keep from missing my kids so much.  What I don’t think he realized was that the cards brought me back to a very happy time when we were dating and just starting to get to know each other.  Nick has always been and still is very thoughtful and kind but over the years life has happened so fast that we don’t seem to make time for the little things that we used to do for each other.  The little things that made us smile often.  It was nice to be reminded of how much my husband and kids love me, but even nicer to be reminded of just how much I love them. 
Recently I was told how hard I am to buy a gift for.  I thought to myself “that’s crazy I like a lot of things”.  But now as I think about it, maybe I seem hard to buy a gift for because it’s not about what I want, it’s about what I already have.  As long as I have Nick and my kids I have it all.  What else could I need???
Try to remember to leave a short note or a card for someone you love when they least expect it.  It could be exactly what they need or at the very least it will make them smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment